Mid-life Without the Crisis

It really isn't the destination, but the journey. May be cliche, but it's true.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

Wow!  It's been ages since I've written.  Sorry about that.  But one of my resolutions for 2013 is to blog more often.

Are you making resolutions this year?  I recently heard a news pundit say that no one really does that - that the only people who talk about resolutions are journalists with nothing better to write about.  I think that may just apply to that pundit, because I certainly do make resolutions.  Granted, I didn't make resolutions when I was a kid, but now I'm more introspective and see things that need to be changed about myself and my routine.

Some people think that setting goals can help provide a sense of calm, as well as a direction.  Sometimes when we hang up that new calendar, we wonder what we'll do with all those days ahead.  Goals give us a sense of purpose as we head into the new year.

45% of Americans usually make new year's resolutions
17% make resolutions infrequently
38% absolutely never make resolutions

The figures above are from the Journal of Clinical Psychology.  The same journal also reported, however, that people who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to reach their goals than those who don't make it a resolution.

So while I have lots of things I'd like to accomplish this year, there are some certain things that I'm setting down as resolutions that I will make every effort to do.

  • Blog at least once every week, preferably twice
  • Work on my novel every week
  • Lose 10 more pounds
What are your resolutions?

No comments: