Mid-life Without the Crisis

It really isn't the destination, but the journey. May be cliche, but it's true.

Friday, September 3, 2010

How to Thrive...at Any Age

The truth is, I do indulge myself a little the more in pleasure, knowing that this is the proper age of my life to do it - Samuel Pepys

My best friend is learning how to play guitar.  She never wanted to be a rock star, as far as I know, and best I can recall, her singing is not going to make her famous.  But she's always wanted to play an instrument and when she tried guitar, she fell in love with it.

I myself am learning to speak Swedish and am trying to get in shape for a triathlon.

Odd behaviors for women over 40?  Perhaps, but Ang and I don't care.  We love learning and we love our new-found hobbies.

Sometimes I think that's one problem people have - just doing something they enjoy.  We've always got this huge To Do list in our heads and we feel guilty if we put that aside for a while and do something for no other reason than we want to.  But guess what.  I can do those dishes now and I'll just have more to do tomorrow, or I can put them off and sit and play a game with my family now.  I can worry about the bills that need to be paid though my funds are low, or I can just forget about it while I watch Doctor Who with my hubby.

One thing is for sure.  "Life moves pretty fast.  You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

One way I'm going to indulge in pleasure this weekend is by going to a concert with my sister-in-law.  She won tickets and we are so excited to be seeing the classic rock group Heart.  Now there are 2 ladies who are really thriving after 40.  They still sound amazing and I can't wait to see them live.  If you aren't familiar with their music, just watch this little reminder and I bet you'll either say, "Oh, yeah.  I know them," or, "Holy cow!  I have to get some Heart!"  Or both.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Angie Dixon said...

Okay, three things.

First, maybe I'm learning to sing and I just haven't told you. I'm not, but maybe I could. Of course, I'd have to get a voice transplant, but how would you know? You live four hours away!

Second, you're going to see Heart and you didn't invite me? Some best friend you are! Maybe I'll go see someone famous without inviting you. Let's see, who could I go see?

Third, I've been meaning to tell you about my new favorite song, Chalk in the Rain by Point of Grace: "Life is a sidewalk Mona Lisa, and it breaks our hearts to see her washed away...All I know is we have to hold on to the beautiful before it's gone..."

Salzypat said...

I bought a harmonica probably 15 years ago. I haven't found spare time yet, but when I do, I'm going to try to learn to play the harmonica. Probably won't ever get good enough to do anything but drive my dogs crazy but it should be fun.

It probably isn't so much wanting to play the harmonica as it is just having a dream out there waiting for me.