Mid-life Without the Crisis

It really isn't the destination, but the journey. May be cliche, but it's true.

Monday, April 4, 2011

More on That Monday: Friendship, Part 2

This is the 2nd in a series.  Read part 1 here.

When my daughter was little, she would often come home from school and tell us about a new friend she'd made.  She'd describe all the fun they had on the playground throughout the day, what they had for lunch, where the girl sat in the classroom - everything.  Then I'd ask what the girl's name was.  The inevitable response?  "I don't know."

I think we can learn a lesson from that method of making friends.  We need to approach the task with the reckless abandon of a kindergartner.  

Too often, we try to find friends who meet that pre-selected mold we have in mind.  That perfect fit.  When what we should really be doing is looking around us, at the people we encounter regularly, and seeing which ones we enjoy interacting with.  Which ones come to mind as you read that sentence?  Maybe she could be your new friend.  Who is it that you always share a joke with after church, or at work, or at the park?  Could she be a potential new friend?

Instead of expecting to find friends only in places that meet certain conditions, how about letting friendships occur naturally, the way they once did on the playground?

This week, see if you can make a new friend.  Reach out on Facebook, in the library, at the grocery store, at work, at the park, and offer to have coffee, take a walk, have lunch, or share contact information with someone new.  You might be surprised at your results.

1 comment:

Angie Dixon said...

I love this. Most of my current friendships just kind of sprung up in unexpected ways.

Yesterday I was talking to someone who works at the library, and mentioned that I'm choosy about who I spend time with, and that I only have a very few friends, with another librarian being the most recent.

She said, "Well, I'm going to sneak up on you and I'm going to be the most recent."

I'm not generally in the market for friends, or haven't been, so I was surprised how good that felt.

It's so true that you can be friends with anyone who interests you and whom you enjoy interacting with.

I think that's kind of the point, actually...